Recently, the freenode network deprecated the commonly used
DH-BLOWFISH due to security concerns,
causing my IRC client (irssi) to no longer be able to authenticate.
Unfortunately, while scripts and guides describing using
DH-BLOWFISH are plentiful, it seems the steps
required to use the new preferred
ECDSA-NIST256P-CHALLENGE method are not yet documented.
Read on for a step-by-step walk-through of configuring irssi to use SASL with freenode in 2015.
My residential internet experience has always been poor, so when I started observing bizarre network behavior a few months back I attributed it to upstream problems and wrote it off with a sigh. The issue persisted however, so over the winter break I decided to sit down and tackle it once and for all.
Tracking down the source of the issue was an interesting adventure, and ultimately the problem was in the last place I thought to check: a pair of TEG-S80g unmanaged gigabit switches made by TRENDnet.
Do not buy! :)